Floodplain Management

flood feature

We are the administrators of the floodplain regulations in any unincorporated area of Seneca County. On this page you should find all the things necessary to follow the rules, regulations and answer any of your questions regarding floodplain management on properties of Seneca County. If you do not find what you are looking for or need additional information, do not hesitate to contact our office by email or at (419)447-7073.

flood feature 2

Links for Homeowners, Builders, Realtors and Lenders

Maps of the Floodplain can be obtained through the Federal Emergency Management Agengy’s Flood Map Store website. Paper maps, scanned images on CD or immediately viewable downloads are available. You will need to have a location address to use this site. Another way to get a map of a property and the floodplain in the area is to call our office, (419)447-7073. We are open Monday-Friday 8a-4:30p. We can print, email or mail you the map.

Seneca County Floodplain Regulations were adopted in 2011 and contain the rules for working, building and filling in floodplains in all unincorporated areas of the county.

If any person wants to fill, grade, construct, alter, remodel or expand any structure in a floodplain a Development Permit Application is required, prior to to beginning any work. Any alteration of a watercourse wholly within, partially within or in contact with any floodplain areas must also be permitted before work can begin. Advisement and a site visit prior to completing the permit application are available through our office and are highly recommended. Once the application is received, the floodplain administrator will either approve or disapprove the application within 30 days.

The Federal Emergency Management is the federal agency that manages the National Flood Insurance Program. For more understanding and information visit their site.

Floodsmart.gov is the official site of the National Flood Insurance Program if you want more understanding about how insurance rates and coverage is set for each flood hazard area.


Technical Resources for Engineers and Surveyors

Seneca County Flood Insurance Survey (May 2011) – Pertaining to all of Seneca County’s incorporated and unincorporated areas, except Fostoria and Green Springs

Sandusky County Flood Insurance Survey  -Includes the area of the Village of Green Spring

Hancock County Flood Insurance Survey – Includes the area of the City of Fostoria

Online Letter of Map Change is one way to ask FEMA to change your floodzone designation.

Letter of Map Amendment is another way to contact FEMA to let them know you believe the area was inadvertently mapped as a floodzone.

floodplain feature 4

Please contact us,

BEFORE doing any work in a watercourse or floodplain…

it WILL save you time and trouble!